Monday 11 January 2016

The Force Awakes


Hello lovelies,

I have finally managed to go see The Force Awakens. I know I actually caught up to everyone else. 

I have been hiding my head under the sand and trying desperately to not see spoilers online as seemingly everyone else on the internet saw the damn thing. Well hiding and seething with jealousy. 

So yes, film seen, in glorious 3D IMAX which is a combination between feeling right in the action and blasting your speakers so loudly the bass gives you cardiac arrest.  



This film was one of the most anticipated of the year I believe. 

There had always been a huge Star Wars following and droves of fans despite the ages of the films, both the originals and the prequels.




Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)

Episode VIII (2017)

Episode IX (2019)


I did add in there the Star Wars films to come (dun, dun, dun)

Around the time of announcement there were mixed reactions around the interwebs, 




And of course because Disney now owns Star Wars







But mostly I agree with this



and after seeing it all I want is a BB8, they do have the really tiny model available but for the price it seems a bit steep.....does not stop me wanting it though.




So ultimately the film.

I never really am negative about films, I like going to the cinema, its a fun trip out and I always enjoy meeting up with people to go in a group, so a film has to be really terrible for me to have a bad experience.

So really its not a huge surprise that I loved this film, to some extent again, its Star Wars. The plot made sense and was understandable, the returning actors reprising their roles were all really good and the aging worked to their advantage. 

People were being quite cheeky online about Carrie Fisher, saying that she has not aged too well. I think that is unbelievably rude really to comment on. She still looks like the same person from the originals, still the same kind eyes and still quite clearly princess Leia. Lets face it, were people legitimately expecting her to still look like sexy slave Leia in the metal bikini? She is not super human and at just under 60 I would not believe it was her if she was still looking THAT good.



Harrison Ford is still pretty good looking for being in his 70's. Still 100% Hans Solo, down to the same/a flipping similar leather jacket, cheeky grin and general cocky attitude while running around the Millennium Falcon. I especially liked a lot of the throwback comments to the older films, such as one character asking if it was the ship that made the Kessel Run in 14 parescs, just for Hans to shout "in less than 12!"
Actually I am pretty pleased to have an action hero in a relevant piece who is older than 30. Nice to see you can still age and kick some ass. 



Speaking of ass kicking.....


I absolutely adored the new female lead, who managed to hold her own and live up to the Star Wars (almost) tradition of fighting ladies who are anything but helpless.


It feels annoying really to still be commenting on strong female characters in science fiction but they can still be argued to be in the minority. Either way regardless of gender this character, in my opinion, was really well written. Good dialogue that did not sound ridiculous to say, thought out and logical decisions and one of my favorite points, not wearing something ridiculously skimpy or impractical. One of my biggest pet peeves is impractical female attire in media. I was really annoying in Jurassic World at the female lead outrunning a T-Rex while still wearing high heels, or when something similar happens in Bond where the heroines never stumble or twist an ankle. 

There have been a few conspiracy theories trying to link who Rey really is, and there is a lot of wiggle room surrounding the family that is mentioned a few times but without any real details. 

One theory floating around is about her being related to Luke Skywalker as the light saber she ends up acquiring has belonged to two previous generations of Skywalker and now calls to her with such force. 

I sort of hope it turns out that she is not actually related to any of the other previous characters, not that it is really an issue but so far in the Star Wars universe everyone seems to be related to everyone else and it would make a nice change. I think it may also work better with the plot in general that, a little like with Aniken, this person was just found, and coincidentally has a way with the force. 

I think the best note to end on would be the array of random camio’s in this film.

Simon Pegg as Unkar Plutt, that is in fact the dealer who gives Rey various fractions of portions for collected scrap, and noticeably offers 60 portions for the adorable BB8 droid, which is refused.  



Greg Grumberg as one of the reistance mebers Snap Wexley,




And randomly and possibly my favorite, Daniel Craig who was an (unaccredited) susceptible Storm Trooper, the one who utters the line “I will tighten those restraints, scavenger scum.” 



As Always, thank you for reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment